Manage episode 366559968 series 1919368
How do you handle burnout? We have all asked that question at some point because modern society has a lot of demands, and it's become too easy to feel overwhelmed. But what if there was a free and accessible tool that could help you turn towards yourself again, away from overstimulation and crazy schedules? In this episode, I will share with you my own experience with deep depression and severe burnout, and how I found healing through making major life shifts centered around spending more time in and with nature.
In this episode, we learn:
- [00:24] Maria shares her experience with depression and severe burnout over the past three years
- [01:54] Plants are a great way to reconnect with a part of ourselves that modern society ignores
- [10:24] How is burnout defined?
- [12:27] How do you recover from burnout?
- [13:25] What is Attention Restoration Theory?
- [14:23] First type of attention: Directed Attention
- [14:37] Second type of attention: Involuntary Attention (aka fascination)
- [16:10] Involuntary attention practices to help you find balance in life
- [16:14] Look at a plant before you look at your screen
- [18:00] Thank the trees
- [18:36] Pair it with gratitude
- [19:25] Ritualize engaging with nature
- [22:54] Go outside
- [23:02] Forest bathing and its benefits
- [25:51] Mental health walks
- [26:44] Get your bare feet on the earth (aka grounding/earthing)
- [28:36] Practice mindfulness through plant care
- [30:53] Lean into scent
- [33:24] Two different types of plants for healing purposes
- [33:38] Slow burn plants
- [35:57] Quick win plants
- [38:23] Pruning back to inspire growth
Mentioned in our conversation:
- My Neighbor Totoro (1988) - IMDb
- HigherDOSE Infrared PEMF Mat
- Growing Joy Episode 188 The Art Of Aromatic Gardening With Amy Of NYC Aromatica
- Pocket Wall Planters | WallyGrow
- We Can Do Hard Things with Glennon Doyle on Apple Podcasts
For a detailed list of Maria's recommended practices,
Follow Maria and Growing Joy:
Order my book: Growing Joy: The Plant Lover's Guide to Cultivating Happiness (and Plants) by Maria Failla, Illustrated by Samantha Leung
Join the Bloom and Grow Garden Party Community Platform & App AKA the plantiest and kindest corner of the internet! Get your FREE 2-week trial here!
Take the Plant Parent Personality Quiz (Get the perfect plants, projects and educational resources for YOUR Lifestyle)
Support Bloom and Grow Radio by becoming a Plant Friend on Patreon!
Subscribe to the Growing Joy Youtube channel! /growingjoywithmaria
* Check out Quince and use my code joy for a great deal: https://www.quince.com/
* Check out Quince: https://www.quince.com/
* Check out Rosetta Stone and use my code TODAY for a great deal: https://www.rosettastone.com/
Advertising Inquiries: https://redcircle.com/brands