Manage episode 371017596 series 1919368
Have you ever wondered what it’s like to be a homesteader? A growing number of people are turning to self-sufficiency and sustainability in their way of living. However, homesteading can seem intimidating, especially when social media portrays it as an exclusive lifestyle requiring acres of land and living off the grid. The good news is that it doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing lifestyle! In this episode, learn how Stephanie Thurow and Michelle Bruhn, co-authors of the book Small Scale Homesteading and absolute BFFs, are making homesteading accessible to everyone—no matter how much land you have. They share their experiences with gardening, chicken keeping, maple sugaring, and more, all while living on less than an acre in the suburbs of Minneapolis.
In this episode, we learn:
- [06:43] Stephanie & Michelle’s homesteading journey
- [13:08] The challenges of gardening in different regions (know your last frost date)
- [16:24] How Stephanie & Michelle’s friendship and shared interests led to their book “Small-Scale Homesteading”
- [17:55] Where can you find a range of cold-tolerant crops for your fall and winter gardens?
- [19:58] Where can you find the perfect wind chimes to add a touch of beauty and mindfulness to your surroundings?
- [17:51] What is the role of community in their homesteading journeys?
- [24:32] What is the difference between gardening and homesteading?
- [26:40] What inspired Michelle and Stephanie’s move from gardening to homesteading
- [30:50] Tips for transitioning from gardening to homesteading
- [40:21] Michelle on seed starting
- [43:36] What are the easiest seeds to save?
- [44:59] How can you preserve your homegrown food?
- [46:45] Fermentation vs pickling
- [48:36] What is water bath canning?
- [51:21] Things you should know about raising chickens!
- [01:01:13] Further homesteading stories and experiences from Michelle & Stephanie
Mentioned in our conversation:
- Book by Stephanie Thurow & Michelle Bruhn Small-Scale Homesteading: A Sustainable Guide to Gardening, Keeping Chickens, Maple Sugaring, Preserving the Harvest, and More
- Can It & Ferment It: More Than 75 Satisfying Small-Batch Canning and Fermentation Recipes for the Whole Year
- WECK Home Preserving: Made-from-Scratch Recipes for Water-Bath Canning, Fermenting, Pickling, and More
- WECK Small-Batch Preserving: Year-Round Recipes for Canning, Fermenting, Pickling, and MoreFood Preservation Cookbooks by Stephanie Thurow:
- Chicken Pens at Tractor Supply Co.
For honest tips and recommendations on raising your own chickens,
Thank you to our episode sponsors:
Territorial Seed Company
Growing your own food does not have to be difficult! Skip the lines at the garden center and let Territorial Seed Company deliver top-of-the-line, healthy and hardy plants right to your door. They have a great line of pre-grown plants, an expansive seed catalog, and over 40 years of experience delivering the best seeds and plants for everyone's garden. Whether you are looking for leafy veggies, flowers or edible plants in either seed or seedling form, Territorial Seed Company has your back.
Get 10% off by visiting territorialseed.com/growingjoy - discount applied at checkout.
Wind River Chimes
Bring more peace, serenity, and magic into your home with chimes. Wind River is a Virginia-based company creating premium handcrafted and hand-tuned wind chimes for over 35 years. If you are looking for a new way to grow joy in your life and find a moment of peace, a Wind River chime is the perfect addition for your home or garden. Plus, it's a perfect personalized gift for your loved ones!
Visit windriverchimes.com and use code GROWINGJOY to receive free engraving on all Corinthian Bells wind chimes.
Follow Maria and Growing Joy:
Order my book: Growing Joy: The Plant Lover's Guide to Cultivating Happiness (and Plants) by Maria Failla, Illustrated by Samantha Leung
Join the Bloom and Grow Garden Party Community Platform & App AKA the plantiest and kindest corner of the internet! Get your FREE 2-week trial here!
Take the Plant Parent Personality Quiz (Get the perfect plants, projects and educational resources for YOUR Lifestyle)
Support Bloom and Grow Radio by becoming a Plant Friend on Patreon!
Subscribe to the Growing Joy Youtube channel! /growingjoywithmaria
* Check out Quince and use my code joy for a great deal: https://www.quince.com/
* Check out Quince: https://www.quince.com/
Advertising Inquiries: https://redcircle.com/brands