Manage episode 360960878 series 1919368
Did you know that the freshest and most delicious lettuce comes from growing them yourself? At home, Billy and I haven't bought a plastic box of lettuce in months and enjoy fresh salad almost daily! We've been growing lettuce hydroponically indoors and are now gearing up to start our outdoor lettuce garden. In this episode, we're joined by Nicole Burke from Gardenary, who shares her expertise on growing lettuce and how you can start your own lettuce garden, even if you don't have a lot of space or experience! Whether you're a seasoned gardener or a houseplant parent looking to expand your plant collection, this episode has something for everyone.
In this episode, we learn:
- [00:03] Maria shares indoor hydroponic lettuce growth and outdoor lettuce garden prep.
- [06:02] Why lettuce is ideal for first-time food-growing houseplant parents.
- [06:53] What is Gardenary all about?
- [08:23] How Nicole makes beautiful raised-bed gardens
- [14:19] Where are 98% of the United States lettuces grown?
- [17:01] What materials are needed for lettuce?
- [20:47] Where can you find a wide array of quality lettuce seeds and seed mixes?
- [23:27] Where to get a potting mix, soil, fertilizer, or compost for your garden beds/containers?
- [25:15] What lettuce does Nicole recommend for beginners?
- [24:34] Lettuce Category #1: Loose leaf
- [29:15] Lettuce Category #2: Head lettuce
- [31:09] Is Nicole indoor-starting or direct-sowing lettuce?
- [32:32] How do you calculate when it's time to start direct sowing?
- [35:55] What is the process of growing lettuce from seed?
- [36:14] Process #1: If you have limited space
- [40:40] Where to find a nutrition program for weight management, more energy, and clear skin?
- [42:55] Process #2: If you live in an apartment
- [46:01] What are Nicole’s tips for harvesting?
- [47:53] What mistakes do people commonly make in growing lettuce?
- [49:58] How to eat Swiss chard
- [52:23] Have you heard of Nicole’s newest book Kitchen Garden Revival?
- [57:45] Where can you follow Nicole?
Mentioned in our conversation:
- Growing Joy Episode 120 Designing and Planning My Garden // Coaching With Nicole of Gardenary
- Ivette Soler’s book The Edible Front Yard: The Mow-Less, Grow-More Plan for a Beautiful, Bountiful Garden
- Hydroponic planter
- Nicole Burke’s book Kitchen Garden Revival
- Nicole’s Burke’s book Leaves, Roots & Fruit
- Rocky Top Mix Salad Blend
- Territorial Seed Company Spring Mixes
- Martha Stewart's book Vegetables: Inspired Recipes and Tips for Choosing, Cooking, and Enjoying the Freshest Seasonal Flavors: A Cookbook
- 10 Years, 4 Cities, 8 Gardens-Nicole Burke's Kitchen Garden Journey
For a complete list of lettuce types, tips, and tricks,
Thank you to our episode sponsors:
Territorial Seed Company
Growing your own salad is made easier with a wide variety of lettuce seeds and seed mixes! Skip the lines at the garden center and let Territorial Seed Company deliver top-of-the-line, healthy and hardy plants right to your door. They have a great line of pre-grown plants, an expansive seed catalog, and over 40 years of experience delivering the best seeds and plants for everyone's garden. Whether you are looking for leafy veggies, flowers or edible plants in either seed or seedling form, Territorial Seed Company has your back.
Get 10% off by visiting territorialseed.com/growingjoy - discount applied at checkout.
Gardening is less complicated when you have the right products on hand! Espoma Organic is dedicated to making safe indoor and outdoor gardening products for people, pets, and the planet. They have an amazing variety of high-quality, organic potting mixes, garden soil, fertilizers, and pest control products that are organic and eco-friendly. To top it all off, they have a huge sustainability commitment with a 100% solar powered plant, zero waste manufacturing and eco-friendly packaging.
Make eating healthier easier with science-backed, plant-rich nutrition programs and wellness essentials right to your door! Sakara provides ready-to-eat meals that are nutritionally designed to deliver results — from weight management and eased bloat, to boosted energy and clearer skin. Enjoy delicious meals that have a perfect balance of plants,protein and fats, while also taking control of your physical health.
Get 20% off your first order when you use code "GROWINGJOY" at sakara.com.
Follow Maria and Growing Joy:
Order my book: Growing Joy: The Plant Lover's Guide to Cultivating Happiness (and Plants) by Maria Failla, Illustrated by Samantha Leung
Join the Bloom and Grow Garden Party Community Platform & App AKA the plantiest and kindest corner of the internet! Get your FREE 2-week trial here!
Take the Plant Parent Personality Quiz (Get the perfect plants, projects and educational resources for YOUR Lifestyle)
Support Bloom and Grow Radio by becoming a Plant Friend on Patreon!
Subscribe to the Growing Joy Youtube channel! /growingjoywithmaria
* Check out Quince and use my code joy for a great deal: https://www.quince.com/
* Check out Quince: https://www.quince.com/
Advertising Inquiries: https://redcircle.com/brands