Manage episode 372143922 series 2391159
Gardening has long been known for its therapeutic advantages and as a place of calm and peace in the middle of a hectic schedule. Garden therapy can relieve stress and enhance our mental and emotional health. In this episode, we'll look at 9 gardening practices that can help you develop a deeper connection with nature—and yourself.
In this episode, we learn:
- [05:11] Therapeutic benefits of gardening during tough times
- [09:40] How gardening can help you with focus and monotasking
- [10:55] The connection between gardening and mindfulness
- [12:55] 9 therapeutic garden activities for a more joyful gardening experience
- [13:01] #1 Turn your garden visits into a self-care reflection moment
- [17:08] Where can you find the best tone fertilizers for your indoor and outdoor plants?
- [21:09] Engage your 5 senses!
- [21:18] #2 Sight (being fully present in the beauty of nature)
- [22:53] #3 Smell (enjoy aromas and incorporate them into daily routines)
- [24:56] #4 Sound (especially bird songs!)
- [26:54] #5 Touch (trace leaf outlines and feel their textures)
- [28:38] #6 Taste (try your homegrown produce!)
- [29:56] #7 Affirmations (to your plants and yourself)
- [33:24] #8 Grow flowers
- [35:39] #9 Look for plant/life parallels
Mentioned in our conversation:
- Merlin Bird ID
- GJWM Episode 186 The History Of Houseplants With Jane Perrone
- GJWM 188 The Art Of Aromatic Gardening With Amy Of NYC Aromatica
For a closer look into these therapeutic gardening practices,
Thank you to our episode sponsors:
Ensure a thriving garden with the right products! Espoma Organic is dedicated to making safe indoor and outdoor gardening products for people, pets, and the planet. They have an amazing variety of high-quality, organic potting mixes, garden soil, fertilizers, and pest control products that are organic and eco-friendly. To top it all off, they have a huge sustainability commitment with a 100% solar powered plant, zero waste manufacturing and eco-friendly packaging.
Follow Maria and Growing Joy:
Order my book: Growing Joy: The Plant Lover's Guide to Cultivating Happiness (and Plants) by Maria Failla, Illustrated by Samantha Leung
Join the Bloom and Grow Garden Party Community Platform & App AKA the plantiest and kindest corner of the internet! Get your FREE 2-week trial here!
Take the Plant Parent Personality Quiz (Get the perfect plants, projects and educational resources for YOUR Lifestyle)
Support Bloom and Grow Radio by becoming a Plant Friend on Patreon!
Subscribe to the Growing Joy Youtube channel! /growingjoywithmaria
* Check out Quince and use my code joy for a great deal: https://www.quince.com/
* Check out Quince: https://www.quince.com/
* Check out Rosetta Stone and use my code TODAY for a great deal: https://www.rosettastone.com/
Advertising Inquiries: https://redcircle.com/brands