Overwatered vs Underwatered Plants, How Much Light Do Indoor Plants Need and More Common Houseplant Problems: Grow Better with Leslie
Manage episode 371552897 series 2391159
Do your plants get enough water and light? These questions are typically asked, and the answer is often "It depends." But this answer is more meaningful than you might think, which will be explained in today's episode of our new series, "Grow Better," featuring Leslie Halleck. As a certified horticulturist with extensive experience in plant care, Leslie is here to share her insights on the subject of overwatering and underwatering, offer valuable insights into the optimal light requirements for plants, and explore the common challenges plants encounter.
In this episode, we learn:
- [07:04] Who is Leslie Halleck and what is her background in plant care?
- [08:24] How has social media impacted plant parenthood and gardening? (aka green guilt)
- [10:32] Why losing plants is normal even for horticulturalists
- [12:06] Why do plants need time to adapt when moving from a greenhouse to our homes?
- [16:51] How are watering and light related in plant care?
- [20:39] Where can you find stylish grow lights with full spectrum warm white light?
- [25:04] How relative humidity affects houseplants
- [27:24] Other key challenges that gardeners face with outdoor plants
- [31:52] How can you tell if a plant is dying?
- [38:10] How does excessive light affect plants? What is phytotoxicity?
- [41:18] Other effects of low light on plants
- [41:54] Signs and symptoms of overwatering and underwatering in plants
- [48:10] What causes leaf drop?
- [51:35] What are the key indicators and signs of nutrient deficiency in both houseplants and garden plants
- [57:06] How can you distinguish between healthy and unhealthy yellow or pink foliage on plants like Cissus discolor that lack green leaves?
- [01:00:05] Why it is important to know the plant's environment and care habits
- [01:03:03] When is the right time to dispose of a plant?
- [01:10:30] Where can you find Leslie Halleck on social media?
Mentioned in our conversation:
- Grow lights
- Books by Leslie Halleck:
- Gardening Under Lights: The Complete Guide for Indoor Growers
- Plant Parenting: Easy Ways to Make More Houseplants, Vegetables, and Flowers
- Tiny Plants: Discover the joys of growing and collecting itty-bitty houseplants
For an in-depth look on overwatering vs underwatering,
Thank you to our episode sponsor:
Bring the beauty of nature into your home. Soltech Solutions makes the grow lights you’ve heard me talk about for years: whether you are looking for a pendant light, track lighting, or a simple bulb to screw into any standard light fixture, Soltech has got you covered. They offer quality products with great customer service, free shipping, and a 5-year warranty. Keep the sun shining and the plants green inside your home with Soltech Solutions.
Check them out at soltechsolutions.com and get 15% off with code "bloom15".
Follow Maria and Growing Joy:
Order my book: Growing Joy: The Plant Lover's Guide to Cultivating Happiness (and Plants) by Maria Failla, Illustrated by Samantha Leung
Join the Bloom and Grow Garden Party Community Platform & App AKA the plantiest and kindest corner of the internet! Get your FREE 2-week trial here!
Take the Plant Parent Personality Quiz (Get the perfect plants, projects and educational resources for YOUR Lifestyle)
Support Bloom and Grow Radio by becoming a Plant Friend on Patreon!
Subscribe to the Growing Joy Youtube channel! /growingjoywithmaria
* Check out Quince and use my code joy for a great deal: https://www.quince.com/
* Check out Quince: https://www.quince.com/
* Check out Rosetta Stone and use my code TODAY for a great deal: https://www.rosettastone.com/
Advertising Inquiries: https://redcircle.com/brands