Manage episode 376710497 series 2391159
The days are getting shorter and the temperatures are dropping, how do our plants adjust to this change? For us houseplant parents, this signals that it's time to start transitioning our outdoor summer plants back indoors. While it may seem simple to just pick up your plant pots and haul them inside, there are important steps to follow for a smooth transition.
In this solo episode, I'll walk you through the entire process of bringing your houseplants indoors in 3 phases: Preparation, Transition, and Maintenance. Follow these 7 steps and you'll have healthy plants that continue thriving inside all winter long!
In this episode, we learn:
- [03:23] Why it's essential to bring your plants indoors during the winter
- [05:54] Bringing plants indoors requires three distinct stages: preparation, transition, and maintenance
- [06:15] #1 Check your plants thoroughly for pests
- [07:36] How to get rid of the pests
- [08:59] #2 Prune or trim any abnormal or damaged leaves
- [10:15] #3 Check the soil and repot if necessary
- [11:27] Where can you get high-quality soil and plant food for the fall gardening season?
- [13:00] Why Kamili Bell Hill’s ‘Happy Plant, Happy You’ is your next best plant care reference
- [14:26] #4 Bring your plants indoors slowly or gradually
- [15:50] #5 Choose the best location in your home for your recently sun-exposed plants
- [17:24] #6 Quarantine your plants and check for pests weekly
- [18:55] #7 Adjust watering and fertilizer for indoor conditions
Mentioned in our conversation:
For a step-by-step guide on winter plant prep,
Thank you to our episode sponsors:
Make sure your plants are all set for the new season! Espoma Organic is dedicated to making safe indoor and outdoor gardening products for people, pets, and the planet. They have an amazing variety of high-quality, organic potting mixes, garden soil, fertilizers, and pest control products that are organic and eco-friendly. To top it all off, they have a huge sustainability commitment with a 100% solar powered plant, zero waste manufacturing and eco-friendly packaging.
Quarto: Happy Plants, Happy You by Kamili Bell Hill
Plant care IS self-care! In this book, author Kamili Bell Hill, a beloved guest on the pod, shows how taking care of houseplants is also taking care of one's self. Learn easy houseplant care tips alongside lessons like how to use houseplants to live a stress-free and self-loving life. Check out Happy Plants, Happy You at your favorite local bookstore, quarto.com, Barnes and Noble, or amazon.com.
Follow Maria and Growing Joy:
Order my book: Growing Joy: The Plant Lover's Guide to Cultivating Happiness (and Plants) by Maria Failla, Illustrated by Samantha Leung
Join the Bloom and Grow Garden Party Community Platform & App AKA the plantiest and kindest corner of the internet! Get your FREE 2-week trial here!
Take the Plant Parent Personality Quiz (Get the perfect plants, projects and educational resources for YOUR Lifestyle)
Support Bloom and Grow Radio by becoming a Plant Friend on Patreon!
Subscribe to the Growing Joy Youtube channel! /growingjoywithmaria
* Check out Quince and use my code joy for a great deal: https://www.quince.com/
* Check out Quince: https://www.quince.com/
Advertising Inquiries: https://redcircle.com/brands