Common Houseplant Pest Identification and How to Get Rid of Fungus Gnats, Spidermites, Scale, White Flies and Mealybugs: Grow Better with Leslie
Manage episode 374285422 series 2391159
As houseplant parents, most of us will inevitably encounter some type of pest infestation at some point. Seemingly overnight, our beautiful, thriving plants can become under attack by bugs we didn't even know existed! Pests can quickly damage and even kill our treasured plants if left unchecked. In Episode 2 of the Grow Better Series, my dear friend Leslie Halleck is back to teach us how to identify the most common houseplant pests and take action to get rid of them fast.
In this episode, we learn:
- [02:07] Happy 200th episode, plant friends!
- [07:29] Why experiencing plant infestations is common and not a sign of failure
- [10:16] How do your plants become infested with insects?
- [13:30] How fungal diseases and viruses spread through plants and insect vectors
- [16:58] How overwatering or misting can activate fungal spores brought in on new plants
- [17:14] What are the symptoms of a plant pest outbreak that we should regularly look for?
- [18:20] #1 Identifying fungus gnats
- [20:08] Where to find potting mixes, composts, and fertilizers for indoor and outdoor gardening?
- [22:51] Say goodbye to dark corners with Soltech’s all-new LED grow bar light.
- [24:52] How to deal with fungus gnats
- [29:40] #2 Identifying spider mites
- [31:32] What is the impact of spider mites on leaves?
- [32:05] Using a handheld microscope for insect identification
- [33:14] Why do you need to choose the right insecticide?
- [39:47] #3 Identifying mealybugs
- [40:43] How to combat mealybug infestations
- [42:56] What are the different organic control methods to manage mealybugs?
- [44:07] What is systemic pesticide?
- [45:31] Other eco-friendly alternatives
- [47:22] #4 Identifying scale insects
- [48:09] How scales manifest and why they are difficult to manage
- [50:11] How to deal with scale manifestations
- [53:12] #5 Identifying thrips
- [57:01] How to identify thrips damage
- [58:42] #6 Identifying aphids
- [58:57] How to get rid of aphids
- [01:01:13] #7 Identifying whiteflies
- [01:03:05] Why you should have a first-aid kit for plants
- [01:04:10] Homemade pest control remedies
- [01:07:14] When is a plant past the point of no return with pest outbreak?
- [01:09:18] Can you propagate a plant under pest attack?
- [01:13:00] Where can you find Leslie on social media?
Mentioned in our conversation:
For a detailed how-to of houseplant pest management,
Thank you to our episode sponsor:
Ensure a thriving plant paradise with the right products! Espoma Organic is dedicated to making safe indoor and outdoor gardening products for people, pets, and the planet. They have an amazing variety of high-quality, organic potting mixes, garden soil, fertilizers, and pest control products that are organic and eco-friendly. To top it all off, they have a huge sustainability commitment with a 100% solar powered plant, zero waste manufacturing and eco-friendly packaging.
Bring the beauty of nature into your home. Soltech Solutions makes the grow lights you’ve heard me talk about for years: whether you are looking for a pendant light, track lighting, or a simple bulb to screw into any standard light fixture, Soltech has got you covered. They offer quality products with great customer service, free shipping, and a 5-year warranty. Keep the sun shining and the plants green inside your home with Soltech Solutions.
Check them out at soltechsolutions.com and get 15% off with code "bloom15".
Follow Maria and Growing Joy:
Order my book: Growing Joy: The Plant Lover's Guide to Cultivating Happiness (and Plants) by Maria Failla, Illustrated by Samantha Leung
Join the Bloom and Grow Garden Party Community Platform & App AKA the plantiest and kindest corner of the internet! Get your FREE 2-week trial here!
Take the Plant Parent Personality Quiz (Get the perfect plants, projects and educational resources for YOUR Lifestyle)
Support Bloom and Grow Radio by becoming a Plant Friend on Patreon!
Subscribe to the Growing Joy Youtube channel! /growingjoywithmaria
* Check out Quince and use my code joy for a great deal: https://www.quince.com/
* Check out Quince: https://www.quince.com/
Advertising Inquiries: https://redcircle.com/brands