Manage episode 300629459 series 2705056
Dr. Mark Mattson
Dr. Mark Mattson is a professor of neuroscience at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and the former chief of the Neuroscience Research Laboratory at the National Institute on Aging. He's one of the most cited neuroscientists in the world, with more than 180,000 citations noted in the scientific literature.
Dr. Mattson's work has advanced scientific understanding of brain aging and identified fundamental aspects of neurodegenerative disorders, including Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease. His most notable work has focused on how the brain responds to mild stressors, such as those associated with exercise and intermittent fasting.
In this episode, Dr. Mattson and I discuss...
- 00:3:31 How hormetic stressors drive adaptation and prevent physiological complacency.
- 00:13:00 How intermittent fasting improves health by promoting metabolic switching.
- 00:16:49 How daily time-restricted eating and 5:2 weekly fasting compare.
- 00:27:44 How a ketogenic diet and intermittent fasting differ in terms of brain effects.
- 00:34:23 How exercising while intermittent fasting exerts additive effects.
- 00:52:32 How plant-based bioactive compounds induce hormetic stress.
- 01:10:48 How severe caloric restriction may harm the body and compromise muscle mass.
- 01:26:25 The differing contexts of intermittent fasting: young vs. old and in men vs. in women.
- 01:35:20 How the effects of cortisol differ during a fast versus chronic uncontrollable stress.
- 01:53:36 How the effects of fasting-mimetics like resveratrol and spermidine compare with actual fasting, and;
- 02:08:44 How ketone supplementation may improve brain health
Show notes coming soon! Join over 300,000 people and get the latest distilled information on circadian insights straight to your inbox weekly: https://www.foundmyfitness.com/newsletter
Become a FoundMyFitness premium member to get access to exclusive episodes, emails, live Q+A’s with Rhonda and more: https://www.foundmyfitness.com/crowdsponsor