#065 Dr. Satchin Panda on Circadian Insights into Exercise Timing, Melatonin Biology, and Peak Cognition
Manage episode 296786386 series 148037
Dr. Satchin Panda
Dr. Satchidananda (Satchin) Panda is a professor in the Regulatory Biology Laboratory at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies.
Dr. Panda’s work focuses on chronobiology, the study of the day-night cycles that drive the multifaceted activities of the human body, using genetic, genomic, and biochemical approaches. He is an expert on circadian rhythms and a pioneer in the field of time-restricted eating. A priority for Dr. Panda when designing his studies is to identify strategies that positively impact public health.
In this episode, Dr. Panda and I discuss...
- 00:05:31 How circadian rhythms influence human health.
- 00:12:30 How seeking bright light in the morning and avoiding it in the evening can help us sleep better.
- 00:20:40 How the ability of supplemental melatonin to counteract evening bright light exposure varies.
- 00:26:16 How understanding the relationship between melatonin and insulin secretion might help us decide when to eat.
- 00:33:15 How shift work, jet lag, and modern lifestyles contribute to altered circadian rhythms and metabolic dysfunction.
- 00:45:10 How naps might aid with afternoon sleepiness and sleep loss.
- 00:47:05 How we can tailor our indoor lighting environment to promote healthy circadian rhythms.
- 00:51:20 How time-restricted eating (eating within a narrow time range) can be beneficial.
- 01:02:13 How Dr. Panda’s ongoing study uses a smartphone app to track when people eat.
- 01:03:41 How most people are unaware of their eating patterns.
- 01:07:58 How Dr. Panda incorporates his research findings into his own life.
- 01:16:21 How our circadian rhythms dictate when we should exercise – and how caffeine provides a workaround.
If you’re interested in learning more, you can read the full show notes here: https://www.foundmyfitness.com/episodes/satchin-panda-3
Join over 300,000 people and get the latest distilled information on circadian insights straight to your inbox weekly: https://www.foundmyfitness.com/newsletter
Become a FoundMyFitness premium member to get access to exclusive episodes, emails, live Q+A’s with Rhonda and more: https://www.foundmyfitness.com/crowdsponsor