#065 Dr. Satchin Panda on Circadian Insights into Exercise Timing, Melatonin Biology, and Peak Cognition
Manage episode 296786386 series 148037
Dr. Satchin Panda
Dr. Satchidananda (Satchin) Panda is a professor in the Regulatory Biology Laboratory at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies.
Dr. Panda’s work focuses on chronobiology, the study of the day-night cycles that drive the multifaceted activities of the human body, using genetic, genomic, and biochemical approaches. He is an expert on circadian rhythms and a pioneer in the field of time-restricted eating. A priority for Dr. Panda when designing his studies is to identify strategies that positively impact public health.
In this episode, Dr. Panda and I discuss...
- 00:00:00 - Introduction
- 00:04:29 - How circadian rhythms influence human health
- 00:12:30 - Seeking bright light in the morning and avoiding it in the evening improves sleep
- 00:20:40 - Supplemental melatonin may counteract evening bright light exposure
- 00:26:16 - The relationship between melatonin and insulin secretion
- 00:33:15 - Shift work, jet lag, and modern life contribute to circadian dysfunction
- 00:45:10 - Naps might aid with afternoon sleepiness and sleep loss
- 00:47:05 - Indoor lighting can be used to promote healthy circadian rhythms
- 00:51:20 - Time-restricted eating strengthens circadian biology
- 01:02:13 - Dr. Panda’s ongoing study uses a smartphone app to track diet
- 01:03:41 - Most people are unaware of their eating patterns
- 01:07:58 - How Dr. Panda incorporates his research findings into his own life
- 01:16:21 - Our circadian rhythms dictate when we should exercise
If you’re interested in learning more, you can read the full show notes here: https://www.foundmyfitness.com/episodes/satchin-panda-3
Join over 300,000 people and get the latest distilled information on circadian insights straight to your inbox weekly: https://www.foundmyfitness.com/newsletter
Become a FoundMyFitness premium member to get access to exclusive episodes, emails, live Q+A’s with Rhonda and more: https://www.foundmyfitness.com/crowdsponsor