Manage episode 322469159 series 2796965
We are baaaaack with another jaw-dropping episode from our “Client Confessions” series, this time featuring one of Holly’s rockstar students, Melissa Donovan.
Melissa is a professional nurse and lactation consultant, a fulltime mom, a Cub Scout volunteer, a child chauffeur, a “Today Show” guest, and now, a new fiancée!
OMG -You gotta hear how it all came to be. Get the new episode now at https://apple.co/2XXKHfC or wherever you get your podcasts!
“You heard it here first folks: If Melissa D. can get her act together and find another husband, dammit, then you can too!” – Holly Katz
Tough Times + Tough Talk + Tough Love = New Life
In this week’s episode Holly introduces us to her star client, Melissa Donovan. They met years ago when Melissa was working endlessly as a nurse teaching lactation to new moms, she had recently been divorced and had two boys to raise.
She was in the weeds, y’all, and for any of you who have been there, you know what we mean. #DeadOnHerFeet #CanYouRelate?
We are going to warn you that this hilarious episode has even MORE swear words than ever, because the two #BFFFS talk a lot of truth about life and love. Real life stuff that ends up being really funny, and with the happiest ending EVER.
Picture Melissa who lived in scrubs and Crocs 24/7. She was in the hospital at all hours of the day and night, meeting with new moms in stressful situations, wrangling her own children, volunteering as a Cub Scout leader, and starting over as a single mom.
Her motto is “Jesus, Scouts, Sports” - and always in that order. So, she had a lot on her plate! And as we hear TIME AND TIME AGAIN, she allowed zero time for herself.
But as per usual, your favorite personal stylist Holly Katz came to the rescue! Melissa tells us every detail of the good, the bad and the ugly of some their first styling meetings. And it was a lot of the bad and the ugly.
From her closet full of Easter baskets to her bath tub full of toys – this poor girl had no space or time for herself. Working night shifts and being a single mom took everything she had. Doing something for her own well-being was actually below the bottom of her list.
So, things started to slide - like how she was feeling. She felt like crap! And you want to know why? The minute Holly started asking her a few hard questions, in a second, she knew why:
- Why are you wearing your work scrubs at home after work or on non-working days?
- Why do you wear crappy scrubs that cost $18 dollars when you have a grown-up professional job?
- How come you can’t brush your hair?
- Where do your kids take a bath if your bathtub is full of crap?
- Where are all of your clothes if your closet is full of Easter baskets?
We told you it was tough love and tough talk. But Melissa is so awesome – and so damn funny - that she laughs through the entire story, even though she says they had some pretty good fashion battles. my
Holly eventually convinced Melissa of a few critical wardrobe dos and don’ts:
- Do not wear scrubs when you are not working or at the hospital. Your mind needs a break from the daily grind.
- Do not wear cheap-ass scrubs that fit terribly. You will look like shit, and because they don’t fit well, they will allow you to gain weight without noticing.
- You can afford professional attire, and you will be more respected in your career if you don’t look like you just rolled out of bed. #DUH!
- Why are you still wearing a nursing bra if you are not nursing anymore? Do you need to pull your boobs out to teach lactation? Buy some new bras.
- Leggings are not pants. Work-out clothes are not an outfit. Holly doesn’t care if you are at a baseball game on Saturday morning. If you aren’t working out, don’t wear work-out clothes all day.
- Get up every day, put on your pants, a cute top, and real shoes. You will feel better.
- Go shopping, get clothes that fit well.
- Do not wait for your perfect body size and shape to buy clothes. Buy clothes that fit in the now. Don’t be afraid to buy that one size up. If it looks better on you, ignore the size number.
- Buy a dress or outfit for a special occasion, even if you don’t have one planned. Even if you think your life sucks so much that you will never go to an event again. Because it is too stressful to scramble if and when you need something appropriate at the last minute. Plus, you just never know (hint, hint, hint)!
The result? Melissa says this was the beginning of her life turn-around. She was a single mom, she was working too much, and her weight was fluctuating due to lack of sleep and self-care.
But, with Holly’s help, she did learn how to shop, how to buy clothes for her current body size and shape, to clean the shit out of her closet (it all went into the tub, but, oh well!), AND she bought the perfect special occasion dress for that ‘someday.’
And you know what? It manifested itself. Her someday came!
She was at the hospital one day, and everyone gathered around her and surprised her with the news that she had been nominated for and won a Daisy Award: a national recognition program that honors the super-human work nurses do for patients and families every day. Not everyone gets this award, so this was completely BADASS.
And guess what? Instead of having a panic attack in her crappy scrubs, Melissa was already prepared! She had gone to a real store that sells professional medical clothing, and eventually even bought a pair of Vince Camuto scrubs! And, because she took Holly’s advice (begrudgingly) and had a great dress in her closet, she was not the least bit worried about receiving her award when it was time.
She got to enjoy the moment. Imagine.
And it just gets better from there. She was asked to appear on the TODAY SHOW of all things, and you know what? She knew what to wear! No stress! (Except for the live TV part.)
So, Melissa started wearing actual clothing that fit her well and helped her to feel better in her non-work life, including camping trips with the Cub Scouts and at her sons’ baseball games. While all the other moms wore yoga pants and bed-head, Melissa wore real pants and cute outfits!
And. Guess. What?
She met a guy. At the baseball field. When she did not look like she had just rolled out of bed.
And the rest is history. Her and her beau are engaged, and the next chapter is when Holly styles her wedding.
We cannot make this shit up, fashion friends. Fashion is your friend, not your enemy, especially if Holly whips you into shape with all the love in the world.
Get the new episode now at https://apple.co/2XXKHfC or wherever you get your podcasts
The FASHION CRIMES PODCAST
“The Best Fashion Friend You Never Knew You Needed”
Hosted by your favorite personal stylist, Holly Katz