Manage episode 292881604 series 2447657
How do we build a market for carbon offsets that is both trustworthy and effective? Diego Saez Gil, co-founder and CEO of Pachama, believes he has the answer. In part 1 of the conversation, Diego joins Azeem Azhar to explore how AI, satellites, and LiDAR can be leveraged to verify the conservation efforts of farmers, NGOs, and governments and help lay the foundation for sustainable work against climate change.
They also discuss:
- How the rapid cycles of a tech startup interact with the slower rhythms of forest ecology.
- Why the tropics should be the focus of forest regeneration efforts.
- Why the priority should be to achieve a “deep” carbon offset market, which is both a platform of exchange and an assurance of quality.
- “How Data Helps Companies Honor Their Climate Goals” (Exponential View podcast, 2021)
- “As concerns rise over forest carbon offsets, Pachama’s verified offset marketplace gets $15 million” (TechCrunch, 2021)
- “Applying AI To Mitigate The Effects Of Climate Change” (Forbes, 2020)
- “The merits of a global carbon offset market” (Financial Times, 2020)