Manage episode 372370723 series 1059558
What does 'unleadble' means?
Scott Clancy is a retired Major General with the Royal Canadian Air Force. With 37 years of experience as a tactical helicopter pilot and in various leadership roles, including Director of Operations for the North American Aerospace Defense Command, Scott has a wealth of knowledge and expertise in leadership and coaching.
A trusted and insightful military leader, Scott’s energy and passion for people, coaching, and leading is infectious. He is seasoned in the fundamentals and techniques of leading and coaching that he has applied from multi-functional and diverse international teams, down to the smallest of youth sports teams. Scott’s success is rooted in learning from experience and mistakes. This makes him a relatable and straightforward mentor.
In this episode, Scott shares his experiences in mentoring and coaching leaders who were initially deemed "unleadable". He emphasizes the importance of understanding the root issues and providing frank and forthright feedback to help individuals improve and succeed.
Why you have to check out today’s podcast:
● Gets insights on fostering skill sets in leaders to become extraordinary coaches.
● Learn the importance of self-awareness, team awareness, and understanding the different perspectives of leadership and coaching.
● Know the six essential tips for aligning and engaging teams with the mission, including knowing what needs to be accomplished, understanding the boss's intent, and breaking down the vision into tasks.
02:02 – Introduction of Scott Clancy
02:57 – Fostering skill sets for extraordinary leadership
04:12 – Six essentials to align and engage a team with the mission
06:05 – Tips for preventing stress 06:00 Examples of addressing stress issues
10:21 – Importance of feedback for behavior change
13:10 – Leading the "unbelievable" and changing their behavior
16:23 – Example of addressing insubordination and family issues
18:38 – Differences between Canadian and American military cultures
22:58 – Overview of the book "Developing Coaching Leaders
● Foster skill sets in leaders by promoting self-awareness, team awareness, and understanding the different perspectives of leadership and coaching.
● Align and engage teams with the mission by knowing what needs to be accomplished, understanding the boss's intent, and breaking down the vision into tasks.
● Prevent and manage stress by prioritizing sleep, exercise, mindfulness, and setting intentions.
● Cultivate behavior change through feedback loops rooted in the vision, with multiple inputs and a balance of subjectivity and objectivity.
● Understand the root issues and provide frank and forthright feedback to help individuals improve and succeed.
Connect with Scott Clancy
● Website: https://scottclancy.ca/
More Impactful Episodes at https://mkbconseil.ch/eil-podcast/