EBB 229 - Evidence on Doulas: Community-based Model, the Pandemic, and Reimbursement with the EBB Research Team
Manage episode 332277914 series 1997463
In today's episode, hosted by the EBB Research Team, we are sharing the audio from a private livestream we did with our Pro Members at Evidence Based Birth. We talk about three major topics related to updated research evidence on doulas: 1) research on the pandemic's effect on the doula profession around the world, 2) research on the difference between community-based doulas and private or traditional doulas, and 3) new info on paying or getting reimbursement for doula care in the U.S. [NOTE FOR LIBSYN ONLY]: This podcast is also posted on our YouTube channel in case you want to access the video of our team teaching, and a screenshare of some of the evidence we're talking about! As a content note, this episode includes discussion of COVID-19, racism, and how a lack of postpartum coverage is in some cases tied to the same places that have abortion bans. Today's episode is taught by Rebecca Dekker, PhD, RN (she/her), Ihotu Ali, MPH (she/her), and Erin Wilson, MPH (she/her). Dr. Dekker is a nurse with her PhD who is the founder and CEO of EBB. Ihotu is a community-based doula, Maya abdominal massage therapist, doctoral student in chiropractic medicine, director of the Oshun Center for Intercultural Healing, and Research Editor at EBB. Erin is a clinical researcher, doula, childbirth educator, policy advocate, and Research Editor at EBB. Together, we will share with you some research we were compiling about the evidence on doula care! Content warning: Discussion of the COVID-19 pandemic, racism, and how a lack of postpartum Medicaid coverage is in some cases tied to the same places that are issuing abortion bans. Resources:
- For a full list of scientific references, see the blog post that goes along with this episode
- Check out our Signature Article... Evidence on: Doulas at https://evidencebasedbirth.com/doulas
- The Sista Midwife Productions Black doula/midwife directory is here: http://www.sistamidwifedirectory.com/
- Go to our YouTube channel to see video versions of all our podcasts! (including PowerPoint presentations when used)
- Check your state's status on whether or not they're funding doulas through Medicaid here: https://healthlaw.org/doulamedicaidproject/#:~:text=Read%20the%20Report-,Current%20State%20Doula%20Medicaid%20Efforts,-The%20National%20Health
- Check your state's status on whether they're expanding Medicaid postpartum here: https://www.kff.org/medicaid/issue-brief/medicaid-postpartum-coverage-extension-tracker/
- Donate or apply for the Hello Seven doula fund for Black families here: https://helloseven.org/
- If you support this work, we encourage you to use your voice and speak up, and to caution against low reimbursement rates and expensive licensure/certification processes that have created barriers to entry in certain states that are actively reimbursing doulas. We at EBB want to see all doulas earn a living wage, regardless of which type of clients they serve (Commonwealth Fund: Issue Brief, 2021).
- Doulas can apply for a National Provider Identification (NPI) number. Here is a guide on how to apply and here is a link to the application through CMS. If you can get an NPI, it will increase your chances of getting paid through insurance/help your clients receive insurance reimbursement.
For more information and news about Evidence Based Birth, visit www.ebbirth.com . Find us on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/EvidenceBasedBirth/ ), Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/ebbirth/ ), and Pinterest (https://www.pinterest.com/ebbirth/ ). Ready to get involved? Check out our Professional membership (including scholarship options) (https://evidencebasedbirth.com/become-pro-member/ ). Find an EBB Instructor here (https://evidencebasedbirth.com/find-an-instructor-parents/ ), and click here (https://evidencebasedbirth.com/childbirth-class/ ) to learn more about the Evidence Based Birth Childbirth Class.