Manage episode 329391107 series 2607521
Our sons are constantly receiving messages about how to handle their emotions - from us as moms and dads, or from other men in their lives and from our culture as well. All too often that message has been “Be strong, emotion other than anger only shows weakness” and this to their detriment. Anxiety and depression are rapidly on the rise and our boys are not immune.
We need our boys to grow into men who are strong of character and a beautiful, if undervalued, aspect of that is helping them learn how to name and process their emotions. This can be difficult to do as a grown up - imagine how your child experiences this and the training they need!
Counselor and author David Thomas works regularly with boys and their families to help them put his three R’s of emotional processing into practice - recognize, regulate, and repair. Listen as he walks us through the importance of these practices and how they can set our sons up for lifelong emotional health. His new book, Raising Emotionally Strong Boys: Tools You Son Can Build On for Life, and companion study guide for boys, Strong and Smart: A Boy’s Guide to Building Healthy Emotions release June 14thConnect with David Thomas:
- Website: https://www.raisingboysandgirls.com/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/raisingboysandgirls
- Instagram: @raisingboysandgirls
- Podcast: Raising Boys and Girls Podcast
- Emotions Chart
- Raising Emotionally Strong Boys: Tools Your Son Can Build On for Life by David Thomas
- Understanding Boys Better :: David Thomas [Ep 315]
- Bruce Learns to Label His Feelings :: Bruce & Heather [Ep 316]
- Emotional Milestones :: Sissy Goff & David Thomas [Ep 160]
- The Art of Nurturing Boys :: David Thomas [Ep 119]
- Getting Brave About Anxiety :: Sissy Goff [Ep 311]
- Thrive. Join Thrive Market today to get 40% off your first order AND a FREE gift worth over fifty dollars! Visit ThriveMarket.com/DMA.
- Peloton. The Peloton Bike+ is now $500 less, its best price yet! Including FREE delivery and setup. Visit onepeloton.com to learn more.
- Storyworth. Save $10 on your first purchase at StoryWorth.com/DMA.