Manage episode 357753872 series 3426151
See for Yourself
Perry picks up Mason from his house at 4:00am (yes... four in the freaking morning) for a road trip out to the gravesite of Elijah Bond - inventor of the Ouija Board. On the way, they encounter quite a few remarkable folks with stories to tell...
Because of dynamically inserted ads, timestamps would be inaccurate. Here's how to avoid potentially triggering content:
- Suffocation: in the Hoosac Tunnel story, when you hear us talk about the "Central Shaft", skip ahead ~4 minutes.
- Racially motivated violence: When you hear the phrase "Mini Lights", skip ahead ~3 minutes.
In this episode:
- An opening retelling of the classic "Hook Hand Man" urban legend.
- A short retelling of the history of the Hoosac Tunnel, and how Mason paid it a visit.
- What it means to get to the origin of local legends, and exploration of how they change over time and the purposes they serve.
- A discussion with a professional ghost tour guide.
- Discussion around the importance of studying urban legends, and a retelling of the Bunny Man legend.
- Mark Muncy, author of the bestselling book Eerie Florida and other compilations of local legends.
- Paul Prater, multifaceted entertainer and ghost tour guide.
- Betty Aquino, a graduate student in the folklore program at George Mason University.
Featuring voice acting from:
- GennaRose Nethercott told our opening story of the Hook Hand Man. GennaRose is a an author, poet, folklorist, and an associate producer and researcher for the highly acclaimed Lore podcast.
- Eric Gray was the voice of AM radio host Bart Chime. Eric creates the podcast "Dumb People with Terrible Ideas" which is a hilarious, pun-filled teardown of hubris - all delivered in his iconic voice. Mason's personal favorite episode is this one about FM radio.
- Ruben Basalto was the "Moon Man Dad Caller" at the beginning of the AM radio show. Ruben is a voice actor who you can hire for your next project!
Find us on the socials:
- Twitter: @digiFolklorePod
- Facebook: DigitalFolklorePod
- Instagram: DigitalFolklorePod
- TikTok: digitalfolklore
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices