Manage episode 353882258 series 3426151
Monsters and Mental Healthcare - Vivian Asimos & Kathleen Hale
This is the first of our 'Folk' episodes, where we share longer excerpts from our interviews!
We talk with Dr. Vivian Asimos about the importance of storytelling and narrative, what makes a monster significant, and a deeper analysis of how of Slenderman - and the circumstances around his creation - catapulted a legend into our collective consciousness.
Then, we'll hear from author Kathleen Hale about her journey to uncover details around the Slenderman stabbings in Wisconsin, the surprising insights she gained about our juvenile justice system, and a discussion about access to mental healthcare services in the United States.
We'll also meet Mason's pet raccoon (and unofficial Digital Folklore mascot) Digby!
- Dr. Vivian Asimos, author of Digital Monsters and Digital Mythology and the Internet's Monster: The Slender Man
- Kathleen Hale, author of Slenderman: Online Obsession, Mental Illness, and the Violent Crime of Two Midwestern Girls
Support our Show!
Find us on the socials:
- Twitter: @digiFolklorePod
- Facebook: DigitalFolklorePod
- Instagram: DigitalFolklorePod
- TikTok: digitalfolklore
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices