Manage episode 373468796 series 3426151
Welcome to our 4th installment of Digital Folklore Unplugged.
These unplugged episodes are all about stripping away the fancy production elements so that we can give you access to raw (or slightly edited) interviews with folklore experts.
Today’s guest is Chelsey Weber-Smith. Chelsey is the creator and host of American Hysteria, a show that probes the depths of our collective anxieties, our shared stories, our cultural myths and legends, and even those mass panics that occasionally sweep through the nation.
American Hysteria is not just a podcast, it's a journey into the heart of American culture… into the intricacies of our shared psyche. Every episode pushes us to question and reconsider the narratives we have been fed, the myths we've been told, and the truths we think we hold dear.
Chelsey peels back the layers of our society to expose its underbelly, revealing the impact of the stories we tell ourselves.
Ok, let’s get unplugged…
Relevant Books (Amazon Associate Links)
- America the Fearful: Media and the Marketing of National Panics, by Ben Radford
- Moral Panics: The Social Construction of Deviance, by Erich Goode & Nachman Ben Yahuda
- Folk Devils and Moral Panics: The creation of the Mods and Rockers (Routledge Classics), by Stanley Cohen
- The Choking Doberman: And Other Urban Legends, by Jan Harold Brunvand
- Encyclopedia of Urban Legends, by Jan Harold Brunvand
Find us on the socials:
- Twitter: @digiFolklorePod
- Facebook: DigitalFolklorePod
- Instagram: DigitalFolklorePod
- TikTok: digitalfolklore
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices