Manage episode 378307838 series 2483172
Today, we’re bringing you something a little different. The Code Conference was this week, and we had a great time talking live onstage with all of our guests. We’ll be sharing a lot of these conversations here in the coming days, and the first one we’re sharing is my chat with Dr. Lisa Su, the CEO of AMD.
Lisa and I spoke for half an hour, and we covered an incredible number of topics, especially about AI and the chip supply chain. The balance of supply and demand is overall in a pretty good place right now, Lisa told us, with the notable exception of these high-end GPUs powering all of the large AI models that everyone’s running. The hottest GPU in the game is Nvidia’s H100 chip. But AMD is working to compete with a new chip Lisa told us about called the MI300 that should be as fast as the H100. You’ll also hear Lisa talk about what companies are doing to increase manufacturing capacity.
Finally, Lisa answered questions from the amazing Code audience and talked a lot about how much AMD is using AI inside the company right now. It’s more than you think, although Lisa did say AI is not going to be designing chips all by itself anytime soon.
Okay, Dr. Lisa Su, CEO of AMD. Here we go.
- AI startup Lamini bets future on AMD's Instinct GPUs
- Biden signs $280 billion CHIPS and Science Act
- Pat Gelsinger came back to turn Intel around — here’s how it’s going
- Huawei’s chip breakthrough poses new threat to Apple in China — and questions for Washington
- AMD expands AI product lineup with GPU-only Instinct MI300X
- Microsoft is reportedly helping AMD expand into AI chips
- US curbs AI chip exports from Nvidia and AMD to some Middle East countries
- Apple on the iPhone 15 Pro: 'It's Going to be the Best Game Console'
Decoder is a production of The Verge, and part of the Vox Media Podcast Network.
Today’s episode was produced by Kate Cox and Nick Statt and was edited by Callie Wright.
The Decoder music is by Breakmaster Cylinder. Our Editorial Director is Brooke Minters and our Executive Producer is Eleanor Donovan.
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit podcastchoices.com/adchoices