Manage episode 324028149 series 1993435
If you’re a musician of any caliber that’s been around for more than a few years, then you know what the annual NAMM Show is. NAMM which is the acronym for the National Association of Music Merchants, which was founded in 1901. Each year the NAMM Show hosts literally the largest display of musical instruments, professional sound reinforcement equipment, and studio gear. In 2020, 116,000 people attended the annual event held in Anaheim California, known as Winter NAMM. Its sister show called “Summer NAMM” is held each year in Nashville TN.
However in 2021, with Covid in full swing, both the Anaheim, along with the Nashville Trade Shows were canceled due to the pandemic. Things started to get back on track in 2021 with a scaled down version of Summer NAMM taking place in Nashville, although the Anaheim show continued to be on hiatus… until this year. 2022 will see for the first time in history the Winter NAMM Show taking place on June 3rd thru the 5th.
We talk with Joe Lamond, who is the President and CEO of NAMM, as he shares the following:
- How he got to his position starting out initially as the drummer with recording artist Tommy Tutone, and also as the tour manager with Todd Rundgren
- Why the show is now being held in June, along with the move planned for April for 2023, eventually returning to January in 2024
- How the show is a resource for prosumers as well as professional musicians, creators, producers, songwriters
Joe also shares some memories along the way during his tenure at NAMM, including one Saturday morning conversation with Ray Charles on a golf cart while attending the show.
Joe Lamond is the president and CEO of NAMM, the National Association of Music Merchants, a global not-for-profit 501(c)(6) trade association representing more than 10,000 manufacturers and retailers of musical instruments, professional sound, and live event production products. The association’s mission is to strengthen the music products industry and promote the pleasures and benefits of making music.
Since 2001, Lamond has led the talented team at NAMM to achieve this mission through what the association calls its “Circle of Benefits” business model, reinvesting the proceeds of its successful trade shows into grants, scholarships, scientific research, industry promotions, and public and government relations programs. These efforts have contributed to increased support for music education in our schools and greater awareness around the world of the benefits of active music making for people of all ages.
If you would like to attend this year’s NAMM Show, you can register at:
The Business Side of Music ™
© 2022 Lotta Dogs Productions LLC
- Showrunner and Executive Producer Emeritus: Tom Sabella
- Producer and Host (the guy who has a face for podcasting): Bob Bender
- Co-Producer - Audio/Video Editor (the man behind the curtain): Mark Sabella
- Director of Video and Continuity (the brains of the entire operation): Deborah Halle
- Marketing and Social Media (all knowing): Sarah Fleshner for 362 Entertainment
- All Around Problem Solver (and Mental Health Therapist for us): Connie Ribas
- Recorded inside an old beat up Airstream Trailer located somewhere on what’s left of Music Row in Nashville TN (except during pandemics, then it's pretty much been accomplished VIA Zoom or over the phone, with the exception for those fearless enough to come to Bob Bender's dining room… and there have been a few that have survived).
- Mixed and Mastered at Music Dog Studios in Nashville, TN
- Editing and Post at Midnight Express Studio located in Olian, NY
- Production Sound Design: Keith Stark
- Voice Over and Promo: Lisa Fuson
Special Thanks to the creator and founder of the podcast, Tom Sabella, along with Traci Snow for producing and hosting over 100 episodes of the original "Business Side of Music" podcast and trusting us to carry on their legacy.
If you would like to be a guest on the show, please submit a request to:
If you’re interested in becoming a sponsor for the show, let us know and we’ll send you a media / sponsorship kit to you. Contact us at email@example.com