Ep. #381: November 15-20, 1995
Manage episode 347608706 series 2580967
Kris & David are back to discuss the (almost-)week that was November 15-20, 1995.
- We start by going over the cover story of the week’s Observer, which summarizes all of the big stories of that week, before moving on to…
- WCW, which ran the first-ever Hulk Hogan vs. Sting match on Nitro at the Macon Coliseum, which Kris attended live in person and completely flopped at the box office.
- We then move on to the international scene, including the opening night of AJPW’s Real World Tag League at Korakuen Hall, the announcement of the second Super J-Cup, the final Pro Wrestling Fujiwara Gumi show before the launch of BattlARTS, Ultimo Dragon vs. Chris Jericho in a theater in Morris, Manitoba, and more.
- Back in the United States, we take a look at the first Battlecade: Extreme Fighting PPV and all of the drama that led to it being moved from Brooklyn to North Carolina at the last minute, as well as how it had an overall more skilled group of fighters than most UFC cards from that era.
- On the indie scene, we look at a wild day in the life of Sabu, as he worked an afternoon show against Hakushi for Dennis Coralluzzo’s NWA New Jersey hours before returning to ECW at November to Remember, as well as SMW being days away from folding, as well as the USWA experimenting with moving the weekly Memphis house show to Wednesday night, Ron Skoler suing an indie promoter, and more.
- We close with the WWF, featuring an eventful Survivor Series where Bret Hart regained the WWF Championship from Diesel and Diesel shifted to being a tweener, as well as the infamous angle the next night on Raw where Shawn Michaels collapsed while wrestling Owen Hart. Oh, and the New York Post breaks the story that Vince McMahon is being investigated for witness tampering in the steroid trial.
All that and much more on this week’s Between the Sheets!
0:00:00 Observer cover story on the week that was
0:59:35 Eurasia: AJPW, WAR, BJPW, FMW, Go Gundan, Michinoku Pro, PWFG, RINGS, Kiyoshi Tamura in K-1, AJW, & CWA
1:20:02 Other North America: IWA (Condello), AAA, & CMLL
1:30:41 Battlecade: Extreme Fighting
1:56:24 Classic Commercial Break (from The Beatles Anthology!)
1:59:31 Other USA: NWANJ, ECW, ECWA, MWCW, USWA, Ozark Mountain, & Ron Skoler lawsuit
4:43:25 Patreon Preview: May Bret Hart’s actual pre-Survivor Series column for the Calgary Sun please stand up?
To support the show and get access to exclusive rewards like special members-only monthly themed shows, go to our Patreon page at Patreon.com/BetweenTheSheets and become an ongoing Patron. Becoming a Between the Sheets Patron will also get you exclusive access to not only the monthly themed episode of Between the Sheets, but also access to our new mailbag segment, a Patron-only chat room on Slack, and anything else we do outside of the main shows!
If you’re looking for the best deal on a VPN service—short for Virtual Private Network, it helps you get around regional restrictions as well as browse the internet more securely—then Private Internet Access is what you’ve been looking for. Not only will using our link help support Between The Sheets, but you’ll get a special discount, with prices as low as $1.98/month if you go with a 40 month subscription. With numerous great features and even a TV-specific Android app to make streaming easier, there is no better choice if you’re looking to subscribe to WWE Network, AEW Plus, and other region-locked services.
For the best in both current and classic indie wrestling streaming, make sure to check out IndependentWrestling.tv and use coupon code BTSPOD for a free 5 day trial! (You can also go directly to TinyURL.com/IWTVsheets to sign up that way.) If you convert to a paid subscriber, we get a kickback for referring you, allowing you to support both the show and the indie scene.
To subscribe, you can find us on iTunes, Google Play, and just about every other podcast app's directory, or you can also paste Feeds.FeedBurner.com/BTSheets into your favorite podcast app using whatever “add feed manually” option it has.
Support this podcast at — https://redcircle.com/between-the-sheets/donations
Advertising Inquiries: https://redcircle.com/brands