Manage episode 341546150 series 1283773
Kris & David are joined by our dear friend Beau James (@KingofKingsport) to discuss the week-plus that was September 12-20, 1985.
- We talk about the impending demise of the St. Louis Wrestling Club thanks to venue politics involving the WWF, and we look at how St. Louis had been declining in general over the previous year.
- Then we go to JCP talking about Jim Cornette & The Midnight Express getting their first feud in the promotion, rumors about Gino Hernandez coming in, the Crocketts having problems with TBS pre-empting them, unruly fans at the TBS tapings, and much more.
- We then go International where AJPW is running some stacked shows while NJPW is relying on their Young Lions heavily. We also talk about the scene in Mexico right before the major earthquake that would hit Mexico City, which was devastating.
- Then we go back to the territories for a wild week in Continental, as Dick Slater turns on the Armstrongs and the JCP crew comes to town but doesn't do much better business than the regular Continental crew, Jerry Lawler & Tom Renesto shoot an angle in Memphis which was way ahead of it's time in an awesome segment, THE MID-SOUTH POTATO VIDEO makes it's BTS debut, we get Mike Von Erich update in World Class, and so much more.
- We then close with the WWF, where they are getting ready to do PPV-only shows with WrestleVision, the Hulk Hogan's Rock ’n’ Wrestling cartoon makes it's debut on CBS, and a lot more.
Great stuff as always with Beau, so check it out!!!
0:00:00 St. Louis & Jim Crockett Promotions
1:01:47 Int’l: AJPW, NJPW, WFWA, EMLL, & UWA
1:23:24 Classic Commercial Break
1:43:54 USA East: PWUSA, Ohio, CWF, & CCW
2:32:13 USA West-ish: CWA/Memphis, Mid-South, Houston, WCCW, TASW, Central States, AWA, CaliCW, & Portland
5:09:04 Patreon Preview: Mandalay Entertainment makes a show of saying they were never in talks to buy WCW
To support the show and get access to exclusive rewards like special members-only monthly themed shows, go to our Patreon page at Patreon.com/BetweenTheSheets and become an ongoing Patron. Becoming a Between the Sheets Patron will also get you exclusive access to not only the monthly themed episode of Between the Sheets, but also access to our new mailbag segment, a Patron-only chat room on Slack, and anything else we do outside of the main shows!
If you’re looking for the best deal on a VPN service—short for Virtual Private Network, it helps you get around regional restrictions as well as browse the internet more securely—then Private Internet Access is what you’ve been looking for. Not only will using our link help support Between The Sheets, but you’ll get a special discount, with prices as low as $1.98/month if you go with a 40 month subscription. With numerous great features and even a TV-specific Android app to make streaming easier, there is no better choice if you’re looking to subscribe to WWE Network, AEW Plus, and other region-locked services.
For the best in both current and classic indie wrestling streaming, make sure to check out IndependentWrestling.tv and use coupon code BTSPOD for a free 5 day trial! (You can also go directly to TinyURL.com/IWTVsheets to sign up that way.) If you convert to a paid subscriber, we get a kickback for referring you, allowing you to support both the show and the indie scene.
To subscribe, you can find us on iTunes, Google Play, and just about every other podcast app's directory, or you can also paste Feeds.FeedBurner.com/BTSheets into your favorite podcast app using whatever “add feed manually” option it has.
Support this podcast at — https://redcircle.com/between-the-sheets/donations
Advertising Inquiries: https://redcircle.com/brands