Manage episode 237922770 series 2359394
In This Episode:
Dr. K talks about hearing aids and other ways to address hearing loss with Meg Wallhagen, PhD, Professor of Gerontological Nursing at UCSF s School of Nursing. She is a nationally recognized expert on hearing loss and has been on the board of the Hearing Loss Association of America since 2010. This episode is Part 2 of a two-part series on hearing loss. They discuss:
- Why people may be entitled to workplace accommodations to address hearing loss
- What should take place during an initial audiology evaluation
- How audiologists adjust and fit hearing aids, and what to expect from a good audiology provider
- What to expect from using hearing aids
- Common hearing aid options to consider, & how to choose a hearing aid
- Why it s good to get a hearing aid with a telecoil
- Why the brain needs time to adjust to hearing aids & why it s essential to use them regularly
- Who shouldn t get hearing aids
- Why a Pocket Talker can be a good option for people with dementia
- Other alternatives to hearing aids, such as special phones
- Why it s important to address hearing loss sooner rather than later
- Other simple ways to improve communication with older adults with hearing loss
- Recent developments in over-the-counter hearing aids and personal sound amplification products (PSAPs)
- Professor Wallhagen s Brochure (for people affected by hearing loss):
- UCSF Audiology: The Speech Banana
- Medicare.gov: Hearing & balance exams & hearing aids
- Mayo Clinic: Hearing aids, How to choose the right one
- The Hurdles to Getting Hearing Aids
- Hearing Loss Association of America:
- Hearing & Speech Center (San Francisco)
- National Academies: Hearing Health Care for Adults: Priorities for Improving Access and Affordability
- Better Health While Aging:
- Professor Wallhagen s Research:
- Hearing Loss Education for Older Adults in Primary Care Clinics: Benefits of a Concise Educational Brochure
- The Stigma of Hearing Loss
- Hearing impairment: significant but underassessed in primary care settings
- Impact of Self-Assessed Hearing Loss on a Spouse: A Longitudinal Analysis of Couples
Transcript: Click here.
Note from Dr. K: We don’t have the funds to transcribe most podcast episodes, but we decided to transcribe Professor Wallhagen’s episodes, to make them more accessible to anyone experiencing hearing loss.
*Note: our Pocketalker link is an Amazon affiliate link. We are now participating in the Amazon Associates affiliate program, so if you buy through the link on our site, Better Health While Aging will earn a small commission, at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Never Miss an Episode! Sign up here to be notified of our latest podcast episodes by email. Click here now.
The post 095 Interview: Hearing Aids & Other Hearing Loss Treatment Options appeared first on Better Health While Aging.