Beer with Pleasant Strangers – Episode 07 – Interview with Stephen Parmley & Firestone Walker Anniversary Blends
Manage episode 180626202 series 1433258
This week, a special blending session with the goal of recreating several of Firestone Walker’s Anniversary barrel-aged blends leads to an interview with the man whose idea it was: Stephen Parmley. Stephen waxes poetic on the emergent craft beer scene of the San Francisco Bay area over the last few decades, and his fascination with blending beer.
Guest: Stephen Parmley
Firestone Walker – the blending components:
- Anniversary XX – a Strong Ale comprised of various barrel-aged beer components.
- Parabola 2016 – a Russian imperial oatmeal stout aged for a full year in a blend of bourbon barrels from Elijah Craig, Four Roses, Pappy Van Winkle, Woodford Reserve and Bu?alo Trace.
- Helldorado 2016 – a barrel-aged Blonde Barleywine.
- Stickee Monkee 2016 – a Belgian Quad brewed with Belgian candi sugar and aged in bourbon barrels.
- Velvet Merkin 2016 – an Oatmeal Stout aged in bourbon barrels.
- Bravo 2017 – an Imperial Brown Ale aged in retired American oak bourbon barrels.
- Rye Double DBA – an Imperial ESB aged in bourbon barrels and then moved into rye whiskey barrels for further aging.
- Kingdom of Dolls – a Sour Saison aged in white wine barrels.
- Shrine of Forsaken Gods (Jester King collaboration) – a Sour Ale with raspberries added.
Check back every Monday for fresh episodes, both in video and audio podcast form. And stay tuned throughout the week for bonus episodes, tastings, blog posts and other fine, digital goods.
In the meantime, don’t be a stranger!
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel, too, if’n ya like!