Manage episode 292173856 series 2498265
In less than a decade France has gone from tech backwater to the startup engine of the EU. It recently celebrated its 12th company to achieve a $1 billion valuation and is well on the way to President Macron’s goal of “25 unicorns by 2025.” Kat Borlongan, director of La French Tech, joins Azeem Azhar to explore how her government taskforce has been working to effectively drive growth in the French startup scene.
They also discuss:
- Why achieving tech sovereignty has become a key motivator for governments.
- How France’s visa scheme is part of their offensive strategy to attract top tech talent.
- Why the French government is directly investing in startups via public investment bank Bpifrance.
- “Building Unicorns in Europe” (Exponential View podcast with Reshma Sohoni, 2019)
- “The State of European Tech 2020″ (Atomico, 2021)
- “Paris overtakes Berlin for tech start-ups after boost from Macron“ (Financial Times, 2019)
- “La French Tech ecosystem map“ (Interactive dashboard on France’s tech startups)