Manage episode 358343532 series 1169853
Joy and frustration can be equally motivating. Sometimes joy pulls our focus like a magnet to where it needs to be. On the other hand, sometimes being grumpy and frustrated is a sign we need to pivot in another direction. They both help us understand what roles or activities, or ideas we need to say no to to make sure we have enough space for what we want to say yes to.
Today, I’m joined by recurring guest host Adrian Klaphaak, who is just returning from a two-month parental leave after welcoming his second child into the world. We’re talking about preparing for, and returning from, time off; the challenges of parenting while running a business; and working toward sustainable joy and focus amidst it all.
Are you working on a Pivot-in-progress? For guidance on reconnecting with what lights you up and creating an action plan to move forward, check out Adrian’s flagship Career Pathfinder Program and apply promo code PIVOT at checkout.
More about Adrian: Adrian Klaphaak is a coach, purpose guide, entrepreneur, therapist, and founder of A Path That Fits Career and Life Coaching. His coaching approach is holistic—a constant balance between getting results and a quest for meaning and fulfillment. He describes himself as “a deep seeker with a constant itch to make things happen.”
🌟 3 Key Takeaways:
- If you’re feeling dread upon returning to work after a break (or even just the weekend), ask: What am I resisting coming back to? See the resistance as a message from a wiser part of yourself telling you something might be off.
- Surrender to the reality of your life, and remember that you’ve chosen it, even amongst the challenges. Life is long, if we’re lucky, and no situation lasts forever.
- Sometimes you have to say no and clear space first, before clarity on next steps emerges. Be patient: the biggest dreams take time.
✅ Try This Next: What do you want to say no—or not now—to right now?
- Free Time: Lose The Busywork, Love Your Business
- Pivot: The Only Move That Matters Is Your Next One
- Life After College
- The Dirty Life: A Memoir of Farming, Food, and Love by Kristin Kimball
- Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less by Greg McKeown
- Grumpy Monkey by Suzanne Lang
- The Art of Happiness: A Handbook for Living by the Dalai Lama
- Adrian on the web, Yelp, Facebook, LinkedIn
- Course: Career Pathfinder (promo code PIVOT)
- Articles: Startup Parent Substack, Parable of the Trapeze
- Video: Finding Your Calling by a Path that Fits
- Podcast: Startup Parent Podcast
🎧Related Podcast Episodes:
- Pivot x Career Pathfinder Playlist (previous episodes with Adrian)
- 204: Radical Alignment: Getting to Hell Yes with Alex & Bob
- Free Time 166: Crashing into Quiet Time 🏝️
- 320: The Beauty of Late Bloomers with Jenna Valovic
💌 Get my curated weekly(ish) PivotList newsletter
💻 Check out Jenny’s Pivot courses on LinkedIn Learning: Figuring Out Your Next Move, Holding 1:1 Career Conversations With Your Team, Managing Introverts, Coaching New Hires, and Coaching New Managers
💬 I’d love to hear what’s on your mind! Take the Pivot listener survey
☎️ Submit a question or comment for future episodes
🎧 Make sure you’re subscribed wherever you listen to 'casts
📝 Check out full show notes from this episode with links to resources mentioned at http://pivotmethod.com/314
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices