Manage episode 335551942 series 2090100
Kerry Washington blessed our TV screens on movies + shows like Django Unchained, Little Fires Everywhere, and Scandal. But before she popped off as Olivia Pope, Kerry says she was choosy about roles offered to her. Even if saying “no” meant having less financial freedom.
In this episode, Kerry shares:
- How J-Lo subbed for her dance teacher in the Bronx (shout out @ Jenny from the block)
- Why she’ll never compromise on roles that perpetuate stereotypes about Black women + women of color
- How side hustles gave her creative freedom – and the ability to say no to roles
- Her process of becoming her characters and why she nerds out about it
- A quick Skimm of Prophecy, her upcoming narrative fiction drama podcast
PS: 9 to 5ish is going on vacation for the next few weeks. We’ll be back in your feed with new episodes with some amazing women in September. Until then, keep up with Carly and Danielle @carlyanddanielle on Instagram.