Manage episode 325088488 series 2851507
Are you struggling with your workload as an entrepreneur? You could be headed toward burnout without even realizing it. Studies done on burnout often overlook entrepreneurs, but there are many ways the studies can still apply whether you work for a company or for yourself.
The top job characteristics that can lead to burnout include workload, time pressure, role conflict, and role ambiguity. Without HR to go to for help, entrepreneurs must have these difficult conversations with themselves to determine if the workload can be trimmed or if time can be better organized. Entrepreneurs will often take on too many responsibilities and can be reluctant to outsource job roles to others. These strains plus a lack of built-in community and lack of positive feedback can lead to burnout.
Tune into this week’s #straightfromcait episode for a conversation about the job characteristics that can cause burnout for entrepreneurs. Learn what to watch out for and how to reassess your work life to protect yourself from burnout.
• “An unmanageable workload applies to everyone, whether they work for themselves or not.” (2:41-2:46)
• “You have to get really clear on what actions are bringing value to your work and which actions are a distraction that you think you should be doing, but maybe don’t really need to.” (2:50-2:59)
• “I know that there is all this information out there that says, ‘You have to have a smashing TikTok account. You have to have 10,000 followers on Instagram.’ No, you don’t. You have to be real good at the thing that you do, and you have to know where the people who need you are so that you can reach them. That’s it. And if you’re trying to be really good at being at all the places all the time, you are giving yourself an unmanageable workload that is going to lead you to burnout. So you’re gonna have to cut some things off that to-do list.” (4:07-4:37)
• “Often, when we are wearing all the damn hats, we sometimes forget what we’re good at, what we love doing most, and what we should be focusing on the most as business owners.” (7:05-7:20)
• “Do not skate over people sending you love. Stop. Let it in. You need it. You need it to protect yourself from burnout and you deserve it.” (12:12-12:23)
Look out for Frenchie Ferenczi’s episode that releases on April 17th!
Maslach, C., Schaufeli, W.B., Leiter, M.P. (2001). Job Burnout. Annual Review of Psychology. 52. 397-422. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.psych.52.1.397
If you know that it’s time to actually DO something about the burnout cycle you’ve been in for too long - book your free consult today: bit.ly/callcait
Join the Newsletter https://caitdonovan.com/newsletter-office-hours
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices