Ep. 175 Myths About Intermittent Fasting & Ketosis! Moving Towards Better Metabolic Health with Chris Irvin
Manage episode 305287718 series 2715240
I am delighted to have Chris Irvin joining me today! Chris is a health researcher, writer, and coach. He has his Master’s degree in exercise and nutrition science, where he studied the effects of low carb diets on human performance and therapeutics. Chris is the education manager at Perfect Keto and is the author of Keto Answers.
When finishing his Master’s degree at the University of Tampa four or five years ago, Chris was unsure whether he wanted to pursue a Ph.D. or go out and become an entrepreneur in the exercise and nutrition industry. While doing an internship at the University of Southern Florida, however, he realized that following the Ph.D. route was not for him. He had also started studying keto in grad school, and it frustrated him that all the research information was locked away in journals that were either inaccessible or hard-to-interpret. So he decided to make all the information about the ketogenic diet more accessible to the general population.
In this episode, Chris goes into the history of the ketogenic diet and explains how it evolved. He also talks about carbohydrates, reducing food cravings, and moving towards better metabolic health. Stay tuned for more!
IN THIS EPISODE YOU WILL LEARN:
- How Chris pivoted into becoming the Ketologist.
- The history and evolution of the ketogenic diet.
- Much has changed, and there has been a lot of misinformation about keto products over the last few years.
- Why a poor keto diet could be better than the standard American diet.
- Navigating the correct threshold for carbohydrates.
- Chris unpacks net carbs versus total carbs.
- Some of the contributors to obesity and metabolic inflexibility.
- Two things you can do to move towards better metabolic health.
- Things that happen in your body when you eat less frequently.
- How a low-carb or ketogenic diet help to reduce food cravings.
- Some common mistakes people tend to make with a ketogenic diet.
- Chris has written a book called Keto Answers.
- What you need to look for to find a good quality MCT oil.
- Products and supplements that can boost autophagy and ketosis.
Connect with Cynthia Thurlow
Check out Cynthia’s website
Connect with Chris Irvin
On his website
Why We Get Sick by Dr. Benjamin Bikman
Keto Answers by Chris Irvin and Anthony Gustin